Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze

От Ants Aasma
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 at 16:26, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
And maybe we need to think of a way to further mitigate this crush of
last minute commits. e.g. In the last week, you can't have more
feature commits, or more lines of insertions in your commits, than you
did in the prior 3 weeks combined. I don't know. I think this mad rush
of last-minute commits is bad for the project.

I think some part of this rush of commits could also be explained as a form of entrainment[1]. Only patches reasonably close to commit will get picked up with extra attention to get them ready before the deadline. After the release hammer drops, the pool of remaining patches will have few patches close to commit remaining. And to make matters worse the attention of working on them will be spread thinner. When repeated, this pattern can be self reinforcing.

If this hypothesis is true, maybe some forces could be introduced to counteract this natural tendency. I don't have any bright ideas on how exactly yet.

Ants

[1] Emergent synchronization of interacting oscillators, see: