Re: Proper use of Groups and Users (Roles).

От Melvin Davidson
Тема Re: Proper use of Groups and Users (Roles).
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The problem is TRUNCATE is more of an administrative privilege. Also, it is not captured in a DELETE trigger, so you have a security issue with that. Also, REFERENCES & TRIGGER are schema changes which should never be done by a normal user.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 5:39 AM, Vincent Veyron <vv.lists@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 12:06:28 -0500
Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wrote a short article to explain the proper use of Group and Userss in the database.

Hi Melvin,

Thanks for the explanation, it makes things easy to understand.

One question :

> Although GRANT ALL, at first appears to simplify granting permissions, it is actually a very bad practice that is often misused. That is because doing so would also allow groups and ordinary users the following additional privileges: TRUNCATE, REFERENCES & TRIGGER.

If a user has DELETE rights on a table, I don't see how granting him TRUNCATE makes that much of a difference? Same could be said of the other two, it's not like they are going to cause more damage than the previous rights.

--
                                        Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

https://marica.fr/
Gestion des contentieux, des dossiers de sinistres assurance et des contrats pour le service juridique