Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?

От Raymond Brinzer
Тема Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 12:26 AM Guyren Howe <guyren@gmail.com> wrote:
I’m not proposing some crackpot half-baked idea here. There are well-defined and researched alternatives to SQL.

I didn't suggest that you were.  Anything which was written, someone had to actually write.

The most fully-developed you-can-use-today offering is Datomic, which uses Datalog as its query language. If you know Prolog, and how that is kind of database-like, Datomic is pretty much a variant of Prolog.

https://www.datomic.com

I don’t use it because it’s closed source.

And being closed-source, it's not useful here.  A concrete spec for what you'd like to see happen at least has potential.  A parser that someone has actually written, more so.

Will it be accepted here?  I don't know; I'm not an insider, or in a position to say.  But it'd be a much better pitch than a pep talk, or speaking in generalities about SQL.  And that's coming from someone who actually agrees with you.  I'm 100% on board with the idea that something better is (badly) needed.  But is the idea, here, really to talk a highly successful project into doing a 180 based on this sort of argument?  If only the people writing the code saw the light, they'd go read the Datomic site, and start overhauling PostgreSQL?

I've floated a few modest, concrete ideas here, and while the response to them was conservative, I wouldn't call it closed-minded. The message I've gotten from Tom Lane was basically, "here are the problems; show me how this would actually work."  I'd have to call that fair; ball's in my court.  Being more ambitious, I'd be pleased with a query language which used S-expressions.  But I think the road ahead for that would be to say, "Hey, guys, look at this thing I've written.  Would you please consider it?"

--
Ray Brinzer

Сообщение: Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?
Сообщение: Re: Can we go beyond the standard to make Postgres radically better?