Re: pgsql: Fix precedence problem in new Perl code.

От Mike Blackwell
Тема Re: pgsql: Fix precedence problem in new Perl code.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
I didn't see a .perlcriticrc file in the project, so ran with our local settings.

With those, perlcritic is pretty unhappy, even at -4, though I don't see anything that pops out as potentially bug-inducing.  The ones I'd probably look fixing at for starters would be the two argument form of open, and maybe the .pl files without a #! so perlcritic doesn't mistake them for .pm files.

It's also pretty noisy about the possible confusion cause by using a leading zero for octal vs oct(), though that's been common practice as far back as my memory goes.  Those could be silenced in an rc file if that's preferred.

If there's interest I could put together a patch for some or all of this.

Mike

Mike Blackwell | Technical Analyst, Distribution Services/Rollout Management | RRD
1750 Wallace Ave | St Charles, IL 60174-3401
Office: 630.313.7818
Mike.Blackwell@rrd.com
http://www.rrdonnelley.com

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Mike Blackwell <mike.blackwell@rrd.com> writes:
> In my experience, that would more commonly be written with the lower
> precedence "or" operator (with or without the param list parens):
>  unlink $temp_name or die "unlink: $temp_name: $!";

Yeah, I thought about that, but the pre-existing rename call had ||
and I didn't want to deviate from the existing style; I'm not a good
enough Perl programmer to be entitled to have opinions about Perl style.

Probably all of this code could use a visit from the Perl style police.
I wonder if anyone's tried perlcritic on it recently.