Re: Patch: fix lock contention for HASHHDR.mutex

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Patch: fix lock contention for HASHHDR.mutex
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11 December 2015 at 16:14, Aleksander Alekseev <a.alekseev@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

I see your point, but I would like to clarify a few things.

1. Do we consider described measurement method good enough to conclude
that sometimes PostgreSQL really spends 3 ms in a spinlock (like a RTT
between two Internet hosts in the same city)? If not, what method
should be used to approve or disapprove this?

Timing things seems fine. You may have located an important issue.

2. If we agree that PostgreSQL does sometimes spend 3 ms in a spinlock
do we consider this a problem?

Probably, but then Tom didn't question 1 or 2. What he questioned was your fix.

3. If we consider this a problem, what method is considered appropriate
to find a real reason of such behaviour so we could fix it?

The problem you identify is in only one place, yet your fix changes many parts of the code. Why is that the best fix out of the many possible ones? Why would such a change be acceptable?

I personally don't know the answers to those questions. It would be wonderful if somebody else would structure our lives such that all we had to do was find simple answers, but that isn't the way life is. You ask for a chain of logical thought, but it is for you to create one, somehow: patches are default-reject, not committer-explain-why-reject.

Сообщение: Re: Logical replication and multimaster
Сообщение: Re: Logical replication and multimaster