Re: wal-g (https://github.com/wal-g/wal-g) reliability

От Nikolay Samokhvalov
Тема Re: wal-g (https://github.com/wal-g/wal-g) reliability
Дата
Re: wal-g (https://github.com/wal-g/wal-g) reliability  (Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>)
Список pgsql-admin
In short, it's reliable and battle-tested. It's used in  companies such as Yandex.Cloud and GitLab.com, successfully.

You can find materials about it from Yandex.Cloud -- for example, from Andrey Borodin who is one of WAL-G maintainers. He is a frequent guest of our online community sessions -- see https://YouTube.com/RuPostgres (in Russian).

Additionally, you can reach out to the people who use WAL-G here:
- Postgres community Slack
https://postgres-slack.herokuapp.com/, it has WAL-G channel (English)
- Postgres telegram group https://t.me/pgsql (Russian).

Despite talking to others, I strongly recommend having periodical (say, daily) automated verification jobs that check your backups -- this is both useful to start trusting the backup tool and to ensure that your backups are in a good shape. Without automated verification, a DR strategy is definitely incomplete.

That being said, it's not a small project so it may have issues depending on how you use it. Among possible caveats: if you use it in Google Cloud, you might have issues with backup-push failures when GCS  has instability events -- this was fixed in the very recent codebase. Also, there are some issues on AWS for the new codebase that are reported for the master, but I don't have details (I suppose using some older version should be better here).