Re: Packagers: Handling upgrade checks

От Sandeep Thakkar
Тема Re: Packagers: Handling upgrade checks
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi Dave,

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 6:44 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Packagers,

As you probably know, pgAdmin 4 checks for updates upon startup, and
if a newer version is available, directs the user to www.pgadmin.org
to download it.

The is a problem if your pgAdmin came with a PostgreSQL installer (as
you can't download them from our website), and potentially mildly
annoying if you're a .deb or .rpm user.

There are a couple of ways to optimise the experience for users here
(one of which I just committed). I'll leave it up to each of you to
choose what you want to do (Sandeep, I would suggest that the EDB
installers use method 2).

Method 1: Simply disable the upgrade check, and leave that to the
operating systems update tools. To do this, create (or edit) a
config_distro.py file that is installed alongside the config.py file
from the pgAdmin source and include the line;

UPGRADE_CHECK_ENABLED = False

Method 2: For well known and trusted distributions we can support a
custom check for your distribution. This involves 2 parts:

1) Let me know that you want a custom check, and I'll setup access for
you to manage the version data on the pgAdmin website. We'll agree on
a custom key for that data within the JSON file the website hosts.

We want that for PG and EPAS installers. Will you please share the custom key?

2) Create (or edit) a config_distro.py file that is installed
alongside the config.py file from the pgAdmin source and include the
line;

UPGRADE_CHECK_KEY = '<your key>'

With this method, a different section of the JSON datafile will be
checked by your distribution of pgAdmin, thus allowing you to control
both when it tells users a new version is available, and the URL to
which they are directed.

Makes sense. Will include this change in the upcoming PG and EPAS updates that bundle pgAdmin.

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com