Re: Packagers: Handling upgrade checks

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Packagers: Handling upgrade checks
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 12:27 PM Sandeep Thakkar
<sandeep.thakkar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>

> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 6:44 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> Packagers,
>>
>> As you probably know, pgAdmin 4 checks for updates upon startup, and
>> if a newer version is available, directs the user to www.pgadmin.org
>> to download it.
>>
>> The is a problem if your pgAdmin came with a PostgreSQL installer (as
>> you can't download them from our website), and potentially mildly
>> annoying if you're a .deb or .rpm user.
>>
>> There are a couple of ways to optimise the experience for users here
>> (one of which I just committed). I'll leave it up to each of you to
>> choose what you want to do (Sandeep, I would suggest that the EDB
>> installers use method 2).
>>
>> Method 1: Simply disable the upgrade check, and leave that to the
>> operating systems update tools. To do this, create (or edit) a
>> config_distro.py file that is installed alongside the config.py file
>> from the pgAdmin source and include the line;
>>
>> UPGRADE_CHECK_ENABLED = False
>>
>> Method 2: For well known and trusted distributions we can support a
>> custom check for your distribution. This involves 2 parts:
>>
>> 1) Let me know that you want a custom check, and I'll setup access for
>> you to manage the version data on the pgAdmin website. We'll agree on
>> a custom key for that data within the JSON file the website hosts.
>>
> We want that for PG and EPAS installers. Will you please share the custom key?

edb-pgadmin4

See: https://www.pgadmin.org/versions.json (let me know if I need to
change anything for testing etc).

>> 2) Create (or edit) a config_distro.py file that is installed
>> alongside the config.py file from the pgAdmin source and include the
>> line;
>>
>> UPGRADE_CHECK_KEY = '<your key>'
>>
>> With this method, a different section of the JSON datafile will be
>> checked by your distribution of pgAdmin, thus allowing you to control
>> both when it tells users a new version is available, and the URL to
>> which they are directed.
>>
> Makes sense. Will include this change in the upcoming PG and EPAS updates that bundle pgAdmin.

:-)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Sandeep Thakkar
Сообщение: Re: Packagers: Handling upgrade checks
От: Dave Page
Сообщение: pgAdmin 4 commit: Update Japanese translation.