Re: Save The Date: Cluster-Hackers meeting May 21st

От Selena Deckelmann
Тема Re: Save The Date: Cluster-Hackers meeting May 21st
Дата
Список pgsql-cluster-hackers

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Koichi Suzuki <koichi.szk@gmail.com> wrote:
Cluster summit should focus on what PG core should do to support
various clustering use case and external tools.   I think logical
replication as well as DDL trigger should be given longer time to
discuss.

+1

I won't be able to attend, unfortunately.  But I hope that another conversation happens at PgCon:

I am very interested in defining terms and setting up repeatable testing for replication. I've started this wiki page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Binary_Replication_Tools

What I've found is that we don't use consistent terminology for these tools, and they largely don't provide complete test cases that would help someone setting up replication, backups and restores.

I've made some very rough shell scripts to test each one, but it needs quite a bit more work. My ultimate goal is to see these kinds of scripts incorporated into a Jenkins-like system that can automatically test new releases against new versions of PostgreSQL. I find it really problematic that we don't have a consistent way of doing this.  Sysadmins who are supporting these tools are particularly disadvantaged because they are often supporting other databases and systems that have wildly different backup procedures.

Just the other day, a friend told me about failing over and not having secondary slaves follow the new master in a 9.0 system. The information about which versions of Postgres support this feature is not easy to find. I plan on incorporating that information in this wiki page over time -- but again, we need to standardize terminology across all of the third-party tools (open source and otherwise) so that people using these are not caught by surprise when they are the most vulnerable to data loss.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com

В списке pgsql-cluster-hackers по дате отправления: