Re: An article about Etsy... and a migration from Postgres to MySQL

От Selena Deckelmann
Тема Re: An article about Etsy... and a migration from Postgres to MySQL
Дата
Re: An article about Etsy... and a migration from Postgres to MySQL  (Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com>)
Re: An article about Etsy... and a migration from Postgres to MySQL  (Joshua Kramer <josh@globalherald.net>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
Hi!

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/10/when-clever-goes-wrong-how-etsy-overcame-poor-architectural-choices.ars

> This is very well written. It almost sounds like the problem was
> caused by Postgres.

I didn't read it that way. It seemed like a cautionary tale about
overuse of stored procedures to express business logic in a company
that had serious scaling and operational and communication problems
between DBAs, sysadmins and developers. The new-hires turned to a
technology stack that was well understood. And in the end, the article
mentions that they still have Postgres at the core.

I see this as a wake up call that our advocacy needs to focus on the
case studies, like that of Urban Airship, to demonstrate how to scale
infrastructure with Postgres. Keeping this information either secret
or difficult to find results in throwing out or scaling back use of
Postgres.

-selena
--
http://chesnok.com

Сообщение: Re: An article about Etsy... and a migration from Postgres to MySQL
Сообщение: Re: An article about Etsy... and a migration from Postgres to MySQL