Re: Multimaster

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Multimaster
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2 April 2016 at 02:15, Moreno Andreo <moreno.andreo@evolu-s.it> wrote:

Actually we have to improve what our replicator is doing: it's only replicating the single user's database. The improvement should that we can put it on the "server" (in some cases there are groups of users sharing a dedicated server) and, given a configuration of what and how to replicate, it should replicate more than one DB a time.

That's a layer on top as far as pglogical is concerned. It's only interested in a single database at a time.

The same is true of BDR.

A tool that automatically configures newly found databases to be replicated should be pretty trivial to write, though.

We were beginning to "translate" (and then improve) this program in c#, when I bumped into articles pointing to BDR, and I started taking a look. But it seems that is good to replicahe whole servers, and still hasn't the granularity we need.

Huh?

BDR is configured database-by-database. The only exception is with bdr_init_copy, for initial setup using binary base backups; in that case all databases are copied.

It sounds like you actually *want* to replicate all databases at once. Presumably the reason you're not just using physical streaming replication for that  is that different hosts have a different set of writeable databases? E.g.

[Node A]   [Node B]
[DB-1]   ->  [DB-1]
[DB-2]   ->  [DB-2]
[DB-3]   <-  [DB-3]
[DB-4]   <-  [DB-4]

so each DB is written from only one node at a time, but both nodes have writeable DBs. Right?