Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys
Дата
Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 02:08, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

Why does create_logical_slot_on_standby include sleep(1)?

Yeah, we really need to avoid sleeps in regression tests.

If you need to wait, use a DO block that polls the required condition, and wrap the sleep in that with a much longer total timeout. In BDR and pglogical's pg_regress tests I've started to use a shared prelude that sets a bunch of psql variables that I use as helpers for this sort of thing, so I can just write :wait_slot_ready instead of repeating the same SQL command a pile of times across the tests.

That reminds me: I'm trying to find the time to write a couple of patches to pg_regress to help make life easier too:

- Prelude and postscript .psql files that run before/after every test step to set variables, do cleanup etc

- Test header comment that can be read by pg_regress to set a per-test timeout

- Allow pg_regress to time out individual tests and continue with the next test

- Test result postprocessing by script, where pg_regress writes the raw test results then postprocesses it with a script before diffing the postprocessed output. This would allow us to have things like /* BEGIN_TESTIGNORE */ ... /* END_TESTIGNORE */ blocks for diagnostic output that we want available but don't want to be part of actual test output. Or filter out NOTICEs that vary in output. That sort of thing.

 2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise