Re: Override compile time log levels of specific messages/modules

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Override compile time log levels of specific messages/modules
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thepatch uses some preprocessing and scripting magic to assign distinct identifiers to each module (a subdir in the
sourcecode), to each file and to each elog message. It then provides a set of functions by which an user can
increase/decrease/setlog levels for either individual messages or all messages within a source file or source module.
Thelog levels can be changed only for specific backends or all current or future backends. If you configure with
--enable-genmsgidsswitch, a MSGMODULES and MSGIDS file is created in $srcdir, which can later be used to know ids
assignedto various modules/messages.<p dir="ltr">I think it's worth looking at how Java handles logging. We can't
achievean exact parallel in C as we don't really have a class hierarchy ... but we do have subsystems roughly grouped
byfile and directory structure.<p dir="ltr">Being able to promote/demote these or selective lower the log level
thresholdon a directory, file, function and line level would be exceedingly handy. Pretty much all of that can be
magic'dup from macro output so hopefully no postprocessing should be needed. (Though only gcc has _FUNC_ or _FUNCTION_
Ithink so we'd have selective support there.)<br />