Re: xmlserialize bug - extra empty row at the end

От Isaac Morland
Тема Re: xmlserialize bug - extra empty row at the end
Дата
Re: xmlserialize bug - extra empty row at the end  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 23 Apr 2023 at 01:31, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

maybe I found a bug in xmlserialize

┌─────────────────────────┐
│      xmlserialize       │
╞═════════════════════════╡
│ <foo>                  ↵│
│   <bar>                ↵│
│     <val x="y">42</val>↵│
(1 row)

Looks so there is an extra empty row.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about this much. There is not, as such, an extra blank line at the end; rather it is conventional that a text file should end with a newline character. That is, conventionally every single line in a text file ends with a newline character, meaning the only text file that doesn't end with a newline is the empty file. You can see this in tools like diff, which explicitly report "no newline at end of file" if the file ends with a different character.

If you were to save the value to a file you would probably want it the way it is.

That being said, this is a database column result and I agree it would look more elegant if the blank line in the display were not there. I might go so far as to change the psql display routines to not leave a blank line after the content in the event it ends with a newline.