Re: xmlserialize bug - extra empty row at the end

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: xmlserialize bug - extra empty row at the end
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Isaac Morland <isaac.morland@gmail.com> writes:
> That being said, this is a database column result and I agree it would look
> more elegant if the blank line in the display were not there.

Yeah, that would basically be the argument for editorializing on libxml2's
result.  It's a weak argument, but not entirely without merit.

> I might go so
> far as to change the psql display routines to not leave a blank line after
> the content in the event it ends with a newline.

psql has *no* business changing what it displays: if what came from the
server has a trailing newline, that had better be made visible.  Even if
we thought it was a good idea, it's about 25 years too late to reconsider
that.  However, xmlserialize()'s new indenting behavior isn't set in
stone yet, so we could contemplate chomping newlines within that.