Re: psql \d+ and oid display

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: psql \d+ and oid display
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Tue, Apr  1, 2014 at 11:30:54AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > OK, I have now applied the conditional display of "Replica Identity"
> > patch (which is how it was originally coded anyway).  The attached patch
> > matches Tom's suggestion of displaying the same OID text, just
> > conditionally.
> >
> > Seeing psql \d+ will have a conditional display line in PG 9.4, making
> > OIDs conditional seems to make sense.
>
> Frankly, I think this is all completely wrong-headed.  \d+ should
> display *everything*.  That's what the + means, isn't it?  Coming up
> with complex rules for which things get shown and which things get
> hidden just makes the output harder to understand, without any
> compensating benefit.

Well, there are lot of _other_ things we could display about the table
that we don't.  Are you suggesting we add those too?

I am suggesting it for at least some other things.  I'm rather aggrieved that "\d+" without argument shows you the size and the description/comment for every table, but "\d+ foo" does not show you the size and description/comment of the specific table you just asked for.

Not so aggrieved that I wrote and submitted a patch, you might notice; but I'll get to it eventually if no one beats me to it.

Cheers,

Jeff