Re: psql \d+ and oid display

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: psql \d+ and oid display
Дата
Re: psql \d+ and oid display  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: psql \d+ and oid display  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr  1, 2014 at 11:30:54AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > OK, I have now applied the conditional display of "Replica Identity"
> > patch (which is how it was originally coded anyway).  The attached patch
> > matches Tom's suggestion of displaying the same OID text, just
> > conditionally.
> >
> > Seeing psql \d+ will have a conditional display line in PG 9.4, making
> > OIDs conditional seems to make sense.
>
> Frankly, I think this is all completely wrong-headed.  \d+ should
> display *everything*.  That's what the + means, isn't it?  Coming up
> with complex rules for which things get shown and which things get
> hidden just makes the output harder to understand, without any
> compensating benefit.

Well, there are lot of _other_ things we could display about the table
that we don't.  Are you suggesting we add those too?  What about
"Replica Identity"?  Should that always display?

The bottom line is we already have complex rules to display only what is
_reasonable_.  If you want everything, you have to look at the system
tables.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +