Re: PITR potentially broken in 9.2

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: PITR potentially broken in 9.2
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Is this related at all to the problem discussed over at
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2012-11/msg00709.php
>>> ?  The conclusion-so-far in that thread seems to be that an error
>>> ought to be thrown for recovery_target_time earlier than the
>>> backup stop time, but one is not getting thrown.
>
>> It is not directly related.  That thread was about 9.1.6.
>
>> In the newly fixed 9_2_STABLE, that problem still shows up the same as
>> it does in 9.1.6.
>
>> (In 9.2.1, recovery sometimes blows up before that particular problem
>> could be detected, which is what lead me here in the first place--that
>> is the extent of the relationship AFAIK)
>
>> To see this one, follow the instructions in my previous email, but set
>> recovery_target_time to a time just after the end of the
>> pg_start_backup checkpoint, rather than just before it, and turn on
>> hot_standby
>
> I tried to reproduce this as per your directions, and see no problem in
> HEAD.  Recovery advances to the specified stop time, hot standby mode
> wakes up,

Hot standby should only wake up once recovery has proceeded beyond the
pg_stop_backup() point.

If the specified stop point is after pg_start_backup() finishes, but
before pg_stop_backup(), then hot standby should not start up (and
with the newest HEAD, in my hands, it does not).  Are you sure you set
the stop time to just after pg_start_backup, not to just after
pg_stop_backup?

Cheers,

Jeff