Re: [BUGS] PITR potentially broken in 9.2

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: [BUGS] PITR potentially broken in 9.2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I wrote:
>> So apparently this is something we broke since Nov 18.  Don't know what
>> yet --- any thoughts?
>
> Further experimentation shows that reverting commit
> ffc3172e4e3caee0327a7e4126b5e7a3c8a1c8cf makes it work.  So there's
> something wrong/incomplete about that fix.

I can't independently vouch for the correctness of that fix, but I can
vouch that there is so far no evidence that it is incorrect.

It is re-revealing an undesirable (but safe, as far as we know)
behavior that is present in 9.1.x but which was temporarily hidden by
a corruption-risk bug in 9.2.0 and 9.2.1.

> This is a bit urgent since we now have to consider whether to withdraw
> 9.2.2 and issue a hasty 9.2.3.  Do we have a regression here since
> 9.2.1, and if so how bad is it?

I don't think this is urgent.  The error-message issue in 9.1.6 and
9.2.2 is merely annoying, while the early-opening one in 9.2.0 and
9.2.1 seems fundamentally unsafe.

Cheers,

Jeff