Re: Loaded footgun open_datasync on Windows

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Loaded footgun open_datasync on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 3:32 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 08:43:18AM +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:

> If it turns out not to break anything, would you consider backpatching?
> On the one hand it fixes a bug, on the other hand it affects all
> frontend executables...

Yeah, for this reason I would not do a backpatch.  I have a very hard
time to believe that any frontend tools on Windows developed by anybody
rely on files to be opened only by a single process, still if they do
they would be surprised to see a change of behavior after a minor
update in case they rely on the concurrency limitations.

Reviving an old thread here.

Could it be back-patched in some pg_test_fsync specific variant?  I don't think we should just ignore the fact that pg_test_fsync on Windows is unfit for its intended purpose on 4 still-supported versions.

> I wonder why nobody noticed the problem in pg_test_fsync earlier.
> Is it that people running Windows care less if their storage is
> reliable?

likely so.

I have noticed this before, but since it wasn't a production machine I just shrugged it off as being a hazard of using consumer-grade stuff; it didn't seem to be worth investigating further.

 Cheers,

Jeff