Re: Loaded footgun open_datasync on Windows

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Loaded footgun open_datasync on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 08:43:18AM +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> Thanks for being interested and doing the work.

No problem.  I have a sort of Windows-label stuck on me for ages, and
those random buildfarm failures are annoying with TAP tests on Windows.

> If it turns out not to break anything, would you consider backpatching?
> On the one hand it fixes a bug, on the other hand it affects all
> frontend executables...

Yeah, for this reason I would not do a backpatch.  I have a very hard
time to believe that any frontend tools on Windows developed by anybody
rely on files to be opened only by a single process, still if they do
they would be surprised to see a change of behavior after a minor
update in case they rely on the concurrency limitations.

> I wonder why nobody noticed the problem in pg_test_fsync earlier.
> Is it that people running Windows care less if their storage is
> reliable?

likely so.
--
Michael