Re: Archive recovery won't be completed on some situation.

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Archive recovery won't be completed on some situation.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Monday, March 31, 2014, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:06 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
<horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> Mmm. I don't think it is relevant to this problem. The problem
> specific here is 'The database was running until just now, but
> shutdown the master (by pacemaker), then restart, won't run
> anymore'. Deleting backup_label after immediate shutdown is the
> radical measure but existing system would be saved by the option.

I don't find that very radical at all.  The backup_label file is
*supposed* to be removed on the master if it crashes during the
backup; and it should never be removed from the backup itself.  At
least that's how I understand it.  Unfortunately, people too often
remove the file from the backup and, judging by your report, leave it
there on the master.

At first blush it seems pretty radical to me.  Just because the server was e-stopped doesn't mean the backup rsync/cp -r/scp etc. isn't still running, and it is not clear to me that yanking the backup label file out from under it wouldn't cause problems.  I mean, you already have problems if you are trying to restore from that backup, but the missing file might make those problems less obvious.

Of course first blush is often wrong, but...

Cheers,

Jeff