Re: block-level incremental backup

От Jeevan Chalke
Тема Re: block-level incremental backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 6:52 PM Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan.ladhe@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Here are some comments:
Or maybe we can just say:
"cannot verify checksum in file \"%s\"" if checksum requested, disable the
checksum and leave it to the following message:

+           ereport(WARNING,
+                   (errmsg("file size (%d) not in multiple of page size (%d), sending whole file",
+                           (int) cnt, BLCKSZ)));

Opted for the above suggestion.

I think we should give the user hint from where he should be reading the input
lsn for incremental backup in the --help option as well as documentation?
Something like - "To take an incremental backup, please provide value of "--lsn"
as the "START WAL LOCATION" of previously taken full backup or incremental
backup from backup_lable file.

Added this in the documentation. In help, it will be too crowdy.

pg_combinebackup:

+static bool made_new_outputdata = false;
+static bool found_existing_outputdata = false;

Both of these are global, I understand that we need them global so that they are
accessible in cleanup_directories_atexit(). But they are passed to
verify_dir_is_empty_or_create() as parameters, which I think is not needed.
Instead verify_dir_is_empty_or_create() can directly change the globals.

After adding support for a tablespace, these two functions take different values depending upon the context.

The current logic assumes the incremental backup directories are to be provided
as input in the serial order the backups were taken. This is bit confusing
unless clarified in pg_combinebackup help menu or documentation. I think we
should clarify it at both the places.

Added in doc.

I think scan_directory() should be rather renamed as do_combinebackup().

I am not sure about this renaming. scan_directory() is called recursively
to scan each sub-directories too. If we rename it then it is not actually
recursively doing a combinebackup. Combine backup is a single whole process.

--
Jeevan Chalke
Technical Architect, Product Development

Сообщение: Re: block-level incremental backup
Сообщение: Re: block-level incremental backup