Re: reply-to set

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: reply-to set
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> a) the number of bounce messages an -announce poster gets will go into
> the hundreds (as used to be the case)
>
> b) majordomo won't do automated bounce processing if bounces don't hit
> the list, so invalid subscribers will never be removed.

Bounces do not follow reply-to, they go to the envelope sender. I'm
assuming MJ does VRP which sets the envelope sender to a unique
address for each message so it can process the bounce accurately.
Mailer that sends a bounce to the reply-to are the same broken ones
that would send it to the author in the From header if reply-to isn't
set and wouldn't be possible to process automatically in any case.

I'm normally against setting reply-to. In these two cases it would be
defensible.  The main problem I see is that users who send mail to
these lists probably should be already setting reply-to anyways
themselves. They probably don't want to receive personal responses but
to have replies go to their own internal customer support lists. I
assume MK keeps the reply-to if it's already present?

--
greg