Re: reply-to set

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: reply-to set
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Josh Berkus wrote:

> > Why not?  Surely replies to -announce shouldn't go to the list.  If you
> > have another idea to set the reply-to for pgsql-announce, I'm all ears.
>
> People who post to -announce already get dozens of bounce messages as it
> is.  If you do reply-to-sender:
>
> a) the number of bounce messages an -announce poster gets will go into
> the hundreds (as used to be the case)
>
> b) majordomo won't do automated bounce processing if bounces don't hit
> the list, so invalid subscribers will never be removed.

No, bounces (should) go to the Sender address, not the reply-to address;
and the Sender is still set to the mj2 address which passes it to the
bounce processor and removes subscribers that bounce too much.

I haven't ever posted to pgsql-announce so I don't know how many bounces
do they get, but I would like to know.  Really, they shouldn't get ANY
bounce at all; and if they do, they should notify the mj2 admin (me)
about them.

> > Surely replies to -announce shouldn't go to the list.  If you
> > have another idea to set the reply-to for pgsql-announce, I'm all ears.
>
> Ideally, we'd have an address which would trigger automated bounce
> processing without ending up in list moderation if it's not treated as a
> bounce.  No idea how to make that work with MJ, though.

That already works.  Invalid subscribers have been removed in dozens
since I fixed the list config some weeks ago.  (Several hundred
invalid addresses were removed from pgsql-announce the first time the
threshold was crossed ... about 4 weeks ago, I think.)

If you have problems with a list you administer, let me know.