Re: [HACKERS] More optimization effort?

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: [HACKERS] More optimization effort?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 21 July 2017 at 20:00, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> I have, however, decided not to volunteer to be the one who works on
>> that project.
>
> Me either.  Any one of these things would require a *lot* of work in
> order to have a coherent feature that provided useful behavior across
> a bunch of different datatypes.

I had in the past idly thought about whether it would be possible to
link in one of the various general purpose theorem proving libraries
and use it to simplify the expressions. But I really have no idea how
much work it would be to teach one about all the properties and
constraints of our existing data types and operators or for that
matter how easy it would be to figure out what theorems we want proven
to be able to use an index.

--
greg