Re: Add comments for a postgres program in bootstrap mode

От Youki Shiraishi
Тема Re: Add comments for a postgres program in bootstrap mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Tom,

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 12:23 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Youki Shiraishi <shiraishi@computer.org> writes:
> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 5:38 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>   * The main entry point for auxiliary processes, such as the bgwriter,
> >> - * walwriter, walreceiver, bootstrapper and the shared memory checker code.
> >> + * walwriter, walreceiver, postgres program in bootstrap mode and the
> >> + * shared memory checker code.
> >>
> >> This change may not be necessary, because, bootstrapper is a good
> >> short name for 'postgres program in bootstrap mode'.  Also, this name
> >> is similar in style to the names of other auxiliary processes.
>
> > Thank you for reviewing my patch.
> > My concern is that the word 'bootstrapper' is ambiguous.
> > If the word is obvious to hackers, please use the v2 patch attached to
> > this email.
>
> A quick grep through the sources finds that "bootstrapper" is used
> in exactly two places (here, and one comment in initdb.c).  I don't
> think it's accepted jargon at all, and would vote to get rid of it.
> What I think *is* the usual phrasing is "bootstrap-mode backend"
> or variants of that.

I also vote to get rid of such ambiguous stuff.
As you can see by grepping, "bootstrap-mode backend" (and something
like that) is also called in the sources as:

- bootstrap backend
- (basic) bootstrap process
- backend running in bootstrap mode
- postgres (backend) program in bootstrap mode
- bootstrapper

I think "bootstrap backend" is a strong candidate for an alternative
of "bootstrapper" because it is used in the official documentation of
initdb.
--
Youki Shiraishi
NTT Software Innovation Center