Re: VACUUM memory management

От Ibrar Ahmed
Тема Re: VACUUM memory management
Дата
Re: VACUUM memory management  (Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 7:29 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 2:02 PM Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar.ahmad@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Did you see this thread?
>> https://postgr.es/m/CAGTBQpbDCaR6vv9=scXzuT8fSbckf=a3NgZdWFWZbdVugVht6Q@mail.gmail.com
>>
> Yes, and somehow did what is explained.

Did you modify Claudio's patch or write a totally new one?

I wrote completely new patch. I tried multiple techniques like using a list instead of fixed size array which I thought was most suitable here, but leave that because of conflict with Parallel Vacuum.

In either case, why did you choose that approach?

This is the simplest technique. I just divided the maintenance_work_mem in chunks and allocate chunks as needed. This technique change minimum code and do what we want to achieve.

If you wrote a totally new one, have you compared your work with Claudio's, to see if he covered
anything you might need to cover?

No, this part I missed, I will do that and will share my thoughts.

Please explain why your patch is
better/different than his.

--
Robert Haas