Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please

От Álvaro Hernández
Тема Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi Pavel.

I understand your concerns. But I believe this problem is easier to solve :)

Think of the parent pom as a (parent) Makefile. It is not source code per se, but it is required for the build. It is easy to build, as it has *no* dependencies (while it declares dependencies, it's just a declaration for inheriting projects, not a requirement for this one). So it can be built on its own, in offline mode.

I don't know how the build process exactly works, but as soon as you can get the source pom and run a "mvn install", that should be enough to later on build the jdbc-driver. Indeed, it should be a good starting point for packaging the driver (getting the RPM build process to work well with maven).

On a side note, while I understand the value of parent poms and this one in particular, I don't think that there should be any <dependencyManagement> declared there. Parent poms are usually quite "general", and either:

- expecting most or all of the inheriting projects to use a dependency,
- or assuming what version of the dependency they are going to use

is IMO too restrictive. Sure, it's not a <dependency>, so no big limitations, but I just think it does not belong here:

- What if, for instance, the jre6 version wants to use a different version of a given dependency? (is not uncommon to see dependencies having different versions for Java <=6 and Java > 6)
- What does it mean for pgjdbc/ubenchmark project to "know" about waffle or osgi dependencies? I think dependencies in parent pom should only be those *expected* to be used by all projects, directly, and make sure that the version used is the same.

Opinions?

Álvaro