Re: really novice with Postgres !

От raghu ram
Тема Re: really novice with Postgres !
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Jean MAURICE <mauricejea@numericable.fr> wrote:
Hi,

Last year I tried to work with Postgres and Pgadmin3. It was successfull but it was just a try. On the other hand, I work with Visual Foxpro since its first version (on VFP mailing list my nickname is 'foxil' = Fox + fossile) !

Today I want to create a real database with a challenge : I want to build it from within VFP (my customer is far and teamviewer is not allowed !).

My first questions are about 'main things'. Can someone answers yes or no to :

1) I would like to define a tablespace : here on my PC it will be something like "D:\POSTRGRES\KM and in my customer's site something like '10.12.2.52\tp\km\'. It's ok ?

I am assuming "10.12.2.52\tp\km\" is network storage drive. Creating Tablespace folder in Network drive will create few performance issues.

2) 'in' this tablespace, I want to create a database (I think it's the more easy !)

Yes,You can create a database and assign tablespace as a default tablespace for newly created database.

3) in the database, I want to create a schema 'edp' because, in this first shot, we will work only with a set of tables, views, index, ... In the future, we will work with a new set of tables, ... and I'll create a second schema. In few words, first shema is about 'real things', the second will be accounting, invoices, ...

This is really a good approach..

4) my first idea is to use ODBC. Can we connect to 'postgres' only by omitting the 'database=' clause in the connection string. At the very beginning, there will have no database in postgres !

By default there databases are created at the time of PostgreSQL Installation i.e template0,template1,postgres. If you omit the database clause,then you will connect only "postgres" default database.

edb:bin postgres$ /Library/PostgreSQL/9.1/bin/psql
psql (9.1.3)
Type "help" for help.
postgres=#

Thanks & Regards