really novice with Postgres !

От Jean MAURICE
Тема really novice with Postgres !
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi,

Last year I tried to work with Postgres and Pgadmin3. It was successfull but it
was just a try. On the other hand, I work with Visual Foxpro since its first
version (on VFP mailing list my nickname is 'foxil' = Fox + fossile) !

Today I want to create a real database with a challenge : I want to build it
from within VFP (my customer is far and teamviewer is not allowed !).

My first questions are about 'main things'. Can someone answers yes or no to :

1) I would like to define a tablespace : here on my PC it will be something like
"D:\POSTRGRES\KM and in my customer's site something like '10.12.2.52\tp\km\'.
It's ok ?

2) 'in' this tablespace, I want to create a database (I think it's the more easy !)

3) in the database, I want to create a schema 'edp' because, in this first shot,
we will work only with a set of tables, views, index, ... In the future, we will
work with a new set of tables, ... and I'll create a second schema. In few
words, first shema is about 'real things', the second will be accounting,
invoices, ...

4) my first idea is to use ODBC. Can we connect to 'postgres' only by omitting
the 'database=' clause in the connection string. At the very beginning, there
will have no database in postgres !

thanks in advance

--
Jean MAURICE