Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 6:00 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2021-Dec-09, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
>
> > I just want to call this out: an insertion of 10 million rows in the
> > primary generates a bunch of messages in the standby [1] within 40 sec
> > (size of the standby server log grows by 5K).
>
> Hmm, that does sound excessive to me in terms of log bloat increase.
> Remember the discussion about turning log_checkpoints on by default?

The amount of LOG messages generated when the log_checkpoints GUC is
set to on, are quite less, hardly 4 messages per-checkpoint (5min). I
think enabling log_checkpoints is still acceptable as most of the
hackers agreed in another thread [1] that the advantages with it are
more and it doesn't seem to be bloating the server logs (in a day at
max 1152 messages).

I'm not sure if it is worth having a GUC log_recovery if enabled the
recovery messages can be emitted at LOG level otherwise DEBUG1 level.
log_recovery GUC can also be used to collect and emit some recovery
stats like log_checkpoints.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoaDFpFmNQuaWj6%2B78CPVBrF_WPT1wFHBTvio%3DtRmxzUcQ%40mail.gmail.com

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.