Re: should we document an example to set multiple libraries in shared_preload_libraries?

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: should we document an example to set multiple libraries in shared_preload_libraries?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 6:33 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 03, 2021 at 12:45:56AM +0000, Bossart, Nathan wrote:
> > I think the problems you noted upthread are shared for all GUCs with
> > type GUC_LIST_QUOTE (e.g., search_path, temp_tablespaces).  Perhaps
> > the documentation for each of these GUCs should contain a short blurb
> > about how to properly SET a list of values.
>
> Yeah, the approach taken by the proposed patch is not going to scale
> and age well.
>
> It seems to me that we should have something dedicated to lists around
> the section for "Parameter Names and Values", and add a link in the
> description of each parameters concerned back to the generic
> description.

+1 to add here in the "Parameter Names and Values section", but do we
want to backlink every string parameter to this section? I think it
needs more effort. IMO, we can just backlink for
shared_preload_libraries alone. Thoughts?

     <listitem>
      <para>
       <emphasis>String:</emphasis>
       In general, enclose the value in single quotes, doubling any single
       quotes within the value.  Quotes can usually be omitted if the value
       is a simple number or identifier, however.
      </para>
     </listitem>

> > Also upthread, I see that you gave the following example for an
> > incorrect way to set shared_preload_libraries:
> >
> >         ALTER SYSTEM SET shared_preload_libraries =
> >         auth_delay,pg_stat_statements,sepgsql;  --> wrong
> >
> > Why is this wrong?  It seems to work okay for me.
>
> Yep.

My bad. Yes, it works.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.