Re: Terminate the idle sessions

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: Terminate the idle sessions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 8:45 AM Li Japin <japinli@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I’ve attached a new version that add “idle_session_timeout” in the default postgresql.conf.

Hi, I would like to just mention a use case I thought of while discussing [1]:

In postgres_fdw: assuming we use idle_in_session_timeout on remote
backends,  the remote sessions will be closed after timeout, but the
locally cached connection cache entries still exist and become stale.
The subsequent queries that may use the cached connections will fail,
of course these subsequent queries can retry the connections only at
the beginning of a remote txn but not in the middle of a remote txn,
as being discussed in [2]. For instance, in a long running local txn,
let say we used a remote connection at the beginning of the local
txn(note that it will open a remote session and it's entry is cached
in local connection cache), only we use the cached connection later at
some point in the local txn, by then let say the
idle_in_session_timeout has happened on the remote backend and the
remote session would have been closed, the long running local txn will
fail instead of succeeding.

I think, since the idle_session_timeout is by default disabled, we
have no problem. My thought is what if a user enables the
feature(knowingly or unknowingly) on the remote backend? If the user
knows about the above scenario, that may be fine. On the other hand,
either we can always the feature on the remote backend(at the
beginning of the remote txn, like we set for some other configuration
settings see - configure_remote_session() in connection.c) or how
about mentioning the above scenario in this feature documentation?

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALj2ACU1NBQo9mihA15dFf6udkOi7m0u2_s5QJ6dzk%3DZQyVbwQ%40mail.gmail.com
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CALj2ACUAi23vf1WiHNar_LksM9EDOWXcbHCo-fD4Mbr1d%3D78YQ%40mail.gmail.com

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.