Re: A new function to wait for the backend exit after termination

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: A new function to wait for the backend exit after termination
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 8:10 PM Muhammad Usama <m.usama@gmail.com> wrote:

> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
> make installcheck-world:  tested, passed
> Implements feature:       tested, passed
> Spec compliant:           tested, passed
> Documentation:            not tested
>
> I have tested the patch against current master branch (commit:6742e14959a3033d946ab3d67f5ce4c99367d332)
> Both functions work without a problem and as expected.

Thanks!

> Just a tiny comment/suggestion.
> specifying a -ve timeout in pg_terminate_backed rightly throws an error,
> I am not sure if it would be right or a wrong approach but I guess we can ignore -ve
> timeout in pg_terminate_backend function when wait (second argument) is false.
>
> e.g.  pg_terminate_backend(12320, false,-1); -- ignore -1 timout since wait is false

IMO, that's not a good idea. I see it this way, for any function first
the input args have to be validated. If okay, then follows the use of
those args and the main functionality. I can also see pg_promote(),
which first does the input timeout validation throwing error if it is
<= 0.

We can retain the existing behaviour.

> The new status of this patch is: Ready for Committer

Thanks!

With Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.