Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display
Дата
Ответ на Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 7:19 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 06:08:05PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> > Another idea could be to use the infrastructure laid out by the commit
> > 9ce346e [1]. With ereport_startup_progress, we can emit the LOGs(of
> > current recovering WAL file) for every log_startup_progress_interval
> > seconds/milliseconds.
> >
> > One problem is that ereport_startup_progress doesn't work on
> > StandbyMode, maybe we can remove this restriction unless we have a
> > major reason for not allowing it on the standby.
> >             /* Prepare to report progress of the redo phase. */
> >             if (!StandbyMode)
> >                 begin_startup_progress_phase();
>
> The relevant conversation starts here.
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210814214700.GO10479%40telsasoft.com
>
> There was a lot of confusion in that thread, though.
>
> The understanding was that it didn't make sense for that feature to
> continuously log messages on a standby (every 10sec by default).  That seems
> like too much - the issue of a checkpointed logged every 5min was enough of a
> hurdle.
>
> If you're talking about a new feature that uses the infrastructre from 9ce3,
> but is controlled by a separate GUC like log_wal_traffic, that could be okay.

Do you see any problems using the same GUC
log_startup_progress_interval and ereport_startup_progress API
introduced by 9ce346e? I prefer this instead of a new GUC. Thoughts?

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.