Re: Pre-allocating WAL files

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: Pre-allocating WAL files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 3:39 AM Bossart, Nathan <bossartn@amazon.com> wrote:

> On 12/30/21, 3:52 AM, "Maxim Orlov" <orlovmg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I did check the patch too and found it to be ok. Check and check-world are passed.
> > Overall idea seems to be good in my opinion, but I'm not sure where is the optimal place to put the
pre-allocation.

> > On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 2:46 PM Pavel Borisov <pashkin.elfe@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I've checked the patch v7. It applies cleanly, code is good, check-world tests passed without problems.
> >> I think it's ok to use checkpointer for this and the overall patch can be committed. But the seen performance gain
makesme think again before adding this feature. I did tests myself a couple of months ago and got similar results.

> >> Really don't know whether is it worth the effort.
>
> Thank you both for your review.

It may have been discussed earlier, let me ask this here - IIUC the
whole point of pre-allocating WAL files is that creating new WAL files
of wal_segment_size requires us to write zero-filled empty pages to
the disk which is costly. With the advent of
fallocate/posix_fallocate, isn't file allocation going to be much
faster on platforms where fallocate is supported? IIRC, the
"Asynchronous and "direct" IO support for PostgreSQL." has a way to
use fallocate. If at all, we move ahead and use fallocate, then the
whole point of pre-allocating WAL files becomes unnecessary?

Having said above, the idea of pre-allocating WAL files is still
relevant, given the portability of fallocate/posix_fallocate.

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.