Re: Confusing error message for REINDEX TABLE CONCURRENTLY

От Ashwin Agrawal
Тема Re: Confusing error message for REINDEX TABLE CONCURRENTLY
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 6:43 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
As you mention for reindex_relation() no indexes <=> nothing to do,
still let's not rely on that.  Instead of making the error message
specific to concurrent operations, I would suggest to change it to
"table foo has no indexes to reindex".  What do you think about the
attached?

I think we will need to separate out the NOTICE message for concurrent and regular case.

For example this doesn't sound correct
WARNING:  cannot reindex exclusion constraint index "public.circles_c_excl" concurrently, skipping
NOTICE:  table "circles" has no indexes to reindex

As no indexes can't be reindexed *concurrently* but there are still indexes which can be reindexed, invalid indexes I think fall in same category.