Re: Confusing error message for REINDEX TABLE CONCURRENTLY

От David Rowley
Тема Re: Confusing error message for REINDEX TABLE CONCURRENTLY
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 28 May 2019 at 01:23, Ashwin Agrawal <aagrawal@pivotal.io> wrote:
> I think we will need to separate out the NOTICE message for concurrent and regular case.
>
> For example this doesn't sound correct
> WARNING:  cannot reindex exclusion constraint index "public.circles_c_excl" concurrently, skipping
> NOTICE:  table "circles" has no indexes to reindex
>
> As no indexes can't be reindexed *concurrently* but there are still indexes which can be reindexed, invalid indexes I
thinkfall in same category.

Swap "can't" for "can" and, yeah. I think it would be good to make the
error messages differ for these two cases. This would serve as a hint
to the user that they might have better luck trying without the
"concurrently" option.