Re: pg_basebackup misses to report checksum error

От Ashwin Agrawal
Тема Re: pg_basebackup misses to report checksum error
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:25 AM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Ashwin Agrawal (aagrawal@pivotal.io) wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 3:02 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 5:48 PM Ashwin Agrawal <aagrawal@pivotal.io> wrote:
> > > If pg_basebackup is not able to read BLCKSZ content from file, then it
> > > just emits a warning "could not verify checksum in file "____" block
> > > X: read buffer size X and page size 8192 differ" currently but misses
> > > to error with "checksum error occurred". Only if it can read 8192 and
> > > checksum mismatch happens will it error in the end.
> >
> > I don't think it's a good idea to conflate "hey, we can't checksum
> > this because the size is strange" with "hey, the checksum didn't
> > match". Suppose the a file has 1000 full blocks and a partial block.
> > All 1000 blocks have good checksums. With your change, ISTM that we'd
> > first emit a warning saying that the checksum couldn't be verified,
> > and then we'd emit a second warning saying that there was 1 checksum
> > verification failure, which would also be reported to the stats
> > system. I don't think that's what we want.
>
> I feel the intent of reporting "total checksum verification failure" is to
> report corruption. Which way is the secondary piece of the puzzle. Not
> being able to read checksum itself to verify is also corruption and is
> checksum verification failure I think. WARNINGs will provide fine grained
> clarity on what type of checksum verification failure it is, so I am not
> sure we really need fine grained clarity in "total numbers" to
> differentiate these two types.

Are we absolutely sure that there's no way for a partial block to end up
being seen by pg_basebackup, which is just doing routine filesystem
read() calls, during normal operation though..?  Across all platforms?

Okay, that's a good point, I didn't think about it. This comment to skip verifying checksum, I suppose convinces, can't be sure and hence can't report partial blocks as corruption.

/*
 * Only check pages which have not been modified since the
  * start of the base backup. Otherwise, they might have been
  * written only halfway and the checksum would not be valid.
  * However, replaying WAL would reinstate the correct page in
  * this case. We also skip completely new pages, since they
  * don't have a checksum yet.
  */

Might be nice to have a similar comment for the partial block case to document why we can't report it as corruption. Thanks.

Сообщение: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Сообщение: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft