Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

От Chapman Flack
Тема Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/07/20 09:46, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Ah, very good point.  New text is:
>
>     Allow Unicode escapes, e.g., E'\u####', in databases that do not
>     use UTF-8 encoding (Tom Lane)
>
>     The Unicode characters must be available in the database encoding.
>
> I am only using E'\u####' as an example.

Hmm, how about:

    Allow Unicode escapes, e.g., E'\u####' or U&'\####', to represent
    any character available in the database encoding, even when that
    encoding is not UTF-8.

which I suggest as I recall more clearly that the former condition
was not that such escapes were always rejected in other encodings; it was
that they were rejected if they represented characters outside of ASCII.
(Yossarian let out a respectful whistle.)

My inclination is to give at least one example each of the E and U&
form, if only so the casual reader of the notes may think "say! I hadn't
heard of that other form!" and be inspired to find out about it. But
perhaps it seems too much.

Regards,
-Chap

Сообщение: Re: pg_basebackup misses to report checksum error
Сообщение: Re: pg_basebackup misses to report checksum error