Re: Detecting DB corruption

От Raj Gandhi
Тема Re: Detecting DB corruption
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Re-sending to correct addresses.

>>Seriously, if you're facing DB corruption then something is already
>>horribly wrong with your setup.

>"Horribly" is not strong enough a word IMHO when we're discussing double primary key values... except if Raj is not using sequences to generate them. Although on the other hand, in that case, it's in turn >an even more horrible setup; questionable DB design on unreliable hardware.

>Raj, would you mind pasting your schema somewhere, at least of the tables you experienced the corruption?

Each DB table has primary key that is populated using DB-sequence. There is a UNIQUE constraint created on natural keys.
The problem on the test setup was because disk cache was enabled.  Indexes were corrupted when powering down the host. I have noticed that integrity of both PK and UNIQUE constraint were violated - Table had rows with duplicate primary keys and in other case there were rows with duplicate unique key constraint.

We are now evaluating to turn off the disk cache to avoid this kind of corruption.

I would still like to have some mechanism to detect any kind of corruption in Postgres. As Craig pointed out I am planning to run "reindex database <dbname>" which will detect any duplicates and will also remove any corruption as indexes are recreated.

About the corruption in table -  will running "VACUUM FULL" on all tables detect the corruption?
I see 8.4 and later version has param 'vacuum_freeze_table_age' which by setting to 0 will force regular "vacuum" to run on whole database and will check every block.  I don't see that param in 8.3 though so I guess "vacuum full" is the only option.

If "vacuum full" is not going to detect the corruption then I am also thinking to run "pg_dump" which should catch the corruption.