Re: Postgresql 12.x on Windows (vs Linux)

От Justin
Тема Re: Postgresql 12.x on Windows (vs Linux)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Robert

I've used Postgresql on windows for years.  Yes there are performance differences between windows and linux and the gap has gotten bigger with JIT

Common performance hits
Shared Buffers
JIT not supported
Windows can be aggressive  flushing  its disk cache,
Running Postgresql using HyperV had big performance hit in my setup it was  30% hit between the VM vs the Hosted OS.

Switch to Linux to get JIT and saw significant improvement on specific queries,  for general use it was marginal improvement   once the hardware difference was factored out