Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication

От vignesh C
Тема Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 at 17:50, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 7:21 AM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> Few comments on v19:
> +     After migration, do this:
> +    </para>
> +
> +    <itemizedlist>
> +     <listitem>
> +      <para>
> +       Enable the subscriptions by executing
> +       <link linkend="sql-altersubscription"><command>ALTER
> SUBSCRIPTION ... ENABLE</command></link>.
>
> The reason for this restriction is not very clear to me. Is it because
> we are using pg_dump for subscription and the existing functionality
> is doing it? If so, I think currently even connect is false.

This was done this way so that the apply worker doesn't get started
while the upgrade is happening. Now that we have set
max_logical_replication_workers to 0, the apply workers will not get
started during the upgrade process. I think now we can create the
subscriptions with the same options as the old cluster in case of
upgrade.

> 2.
> + * b) SUBREL_STATE_SYNCDONE: A relation upgraded while in this state
> + * would retain the replication origin in certain cases.
>
> I think this is vague. Can we briefly describe cases where the origins
> would be retained?

I will modify this in the next version

> 3. I think the cases where the publisher is also upgraded restoring
> the origin's LSN is of no use. Currently, I can't see a problem with
> restoring stale originLSN in such cases as we won't be able to
> distinguish during the upgrade but I think we should document it in
> the comments somewhere in the patch.

I will add a comment for this in the next version

Regards,
Vignesh