Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication
Дата
Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 7:21 AM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:

Few comments on v19:
+     After migration, do this:
+    </para>
+
+    <itemizedlist>
+     <listitem>
+      <para>
+       Enable the subscriptions by executing
+       <link linkend="sql-altersubscription"><command>ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION ... ENABLE</command></link>.

The reason for this restriction is not very clear to me. Is it because
we are using pg_dump for subscription and the existing functionality
is doing it? If so, I think currently even connect is false.

2.
+ * b) SUBREL_STATE_SYNCDONE: A relation upgraded while in this state
+ * would retain the replication origin in certain cases.

I think this is vague. Can we briefly describe cases where the origins
would be retained?

3. I think the cases where the publisher is also upgraded restoring
the origin's LSN is of no use. Currently, I can't see a problem with
restoring stale originLSN in such cases as we won't be able to
distinguish during the upgrade but I think we should document it in
the comments somewhere in the patch.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.