Re: Requiring recovery.signal or standby.signal when recovering with a backup_label

От Roberto Mello
Тема Re: Requiring recovery.signal or standby.signal when recovering with a backup_label
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 1:09 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

I have been reviewing the patch, and applied portions of it as of
dc5bd388 and 1ffdc03c and they're quite independent pieces.  After
that, the remaining bits of the patch to change the behavior is now
straight-forward.  I have written a commit message for it, while on
it, as per the attached.

A suggestion for the hint message in an effort to improve readability:

"If you are restoring from a backup, ensure \"%s/recovery.signal\" or \"%s/standby.signal\" is present and add required recovery options."

I realize the original use of "touch" is a valid shortcut for what I suggest above, however that will be less clear for the not-so-un*x-inclined users of Postgres, while for some it'll be downright confusing, IMHO. It also provides the advantage of being crystal clear on what needs to be done to fix the problem.

Roberto