Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?

От Bèrto ëd Sèra
Тема Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

> In other words an API in the database.
+1. People code apps and then disappear, because once the development is over they are not available in the company any more. And each thing you hardwire in the app becomes a stopper. Meanwhile, every company will have at least one DBA, who can manage/upgrade stuff in the DB. This is especially true now that most stuff gets done for phones, and each phone family needs the same stuff to be redeveloped and maintained over and over again, with an extremely huge risk of inconsistent behaviours.

Coding in the app is simply not cost-effective.

My 2 p.

Bèrto

On 24 July 2013 01:40, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
On 07/23/2013 05:29 PM, Some Developer wrote:
I've done quite a bit of reading on stored procedures recently and the
consensus seems to be that you shouldn't use them unless you really must.

I don't understand this argument. If you implement all of your logic in
the application then you need to make a network request to the database
server, return the required data from the database to the app server, do
the processing and then return the results. A stored procedure is going
to be a lot faster than that even if you just take away network latency
/ transfer time.

I'm in the middle of building a database and was going to make extensive
use of stored procedures and trigger functions because it makes more
sense for the actions to happen at the database layer rather than in the
app layer.

Should I use them or not?

Personally I figure the arguments for and against are closely correlated with where on the development chain you are, and are tied in with job security. If you are an app developer than it is in your interest to have code in the app, if you are a database developer in the database. Me, I am tend to go with your argument about keeping procedures, where appropriate, in the database for the reasons you state. In other words an API in the database.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com