Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Aaron Abreu <abreual@bay.k12.fl.us> wrote:
> a NON-technical version...
>
> st.procedures and automation are great...
>
> but...
> sounds like everybody is dancing around the main theme..
> so lets say it....
> that dreaded word that developers and DBA's cring to hear...
> the one part of our job that we all hate...
>
> DOCUMENTATION !!!!!

urk.  your typical java programmer isn't any more likely to write
documentation and unit tests than your typical database developer.
sql is very at least somewhat self documenting; I'd rather trawl
through someone else's sql than just about any other language.

stored procedures also tend to be very robust, especially if you avoid
excessive use of variables and loops; they are tightly coupled with
the database transaction environment: errors roll back ALL DATA
STRUCTURES as well as the execution point to a known good place.  also
the mvcc locking model is very clean vs your typical threaded drek.

merlin

Сообщение: Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?
Сообщение: Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?