Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Rodger Donaldson
<rodgerd@diaspora.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 11:24:12 -0800, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>
> wrote:

>>> I meant worrying about it for Pg.
>>
>> the odds of Postgres developing something as complex and intricate as
>> RAC are probably between zilch and none.  RAC was for many years
>> completely unusable, and even now, its complicated, fragile, and
> expensive.
>
> Happily, the complications and fragility are now utilised by Oracle to
> help sell ExaData units, on the basis that if you give Oracle even more
> money, they'll sell you a RAC that actually works!

Looking at the general design of Postgres-XC compared to RAC, which
workloads would the latter excel at as a matter of design that the
former would not?  Granted Postgres-XC is still pre-1.0 (latest
release iirc is 0.9.6) and it doesn't yet support everything it needs
to, but  it looks very promising in this area, and it is open source.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers