Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is simply no comparing mysql's backend programming features with
> those of postgres.  Postgres is a development platform in a box, mysql
> is not.

This and there are annoyances I have run into with MySQL, such as
deadlocks....  on a system with only one running transaction....  I
traced this problem eventually to multi-row inserts and concluded it
was a race condition in threaded processing.  As I say, any db can and
should allow conflicting transactions to deadlock.  It takes special
talent to allow transactions to deadlock against *themselves*......

Interestingly I have customers who run both MySQL and PostgreSQL and
have had similar issues with transactions deadlocking against
themselves on MySQL, so I know I am not unique here.

MySQL, I am sorry to say, is not catching up to PostgreSQL at least
from where I stand except for the few very specific workloads that its
query cache are designed to work with.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

От: Rodger Donaldson
Сообщение: Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?
От: Chris Travers
Сообщение: Re: Hope for a new PostgreSQL era?